Janet is a dynamic, funny, and passionate speaker on today’s world of publishing and thought leadership. Her talks and workshops encompass the ingredients of a good idea, developing messages that change lives, the role of content for thriving entrepreneurship, and the big picture of platform-building for both business-focused and creative writers. She creates engaging and interactive environments, whether it’s with groups of 10 or 200, inspiring each person to see their work, their potential, and their next steps in writing, business, and life in new and rewarding ways.
Janet has spoken at major publishing and writer’s conferences, such as the American Society of Journalism and Authors (ASJA) annual conferences, universities, and entrepreneurial events, including New York University, University of Michigan, City University of New York, Vancouver Coastal Health, San Miguel de Allende Writers Conference, BookBaby Independent Authors Conference, The Wealthy Thought Leader, and Book Breakthrough.
WHAT AUDIENCES ARE SAYING
“You know a pro when you see one, and Janet was far and away the pro of all the presenters.” — Keynote on “Developing Great Ideas” attendee
“Janet’s style is warm and easy and her information is concise and practical. She makes everyone feel comfortable and offers clear ideas that audiences can use.” — Marketing and Branding Expert and Panel Chair, ASJA annual Conference
7 Steps to Take Your Idea to the Next Level
Guidance, inspiration, and to-dos that take away the overwhelm and provide fresh direction for creative projects at every stage, including:
- Why Going Public is one of the first steps to take, not the last.
- The Power of Structure to bring clarity, energy, and momentum to your work.
- How to use Radical Rethinking to test and confirm your path or to provide the breakthrough you need.
Taking Ideas from Good to Great
Great ideas don’t come to life fully formed. They take time and testing, creativing and revision, serendipity and commitment, including:
- Insights to reframe and democratize our ideas about creativity and expertise.
- Introducing the 8 Ingredients of Good Ideas.
- Why clarity and specificity are so important to ideas that last and spread.
- Ways to discern good ideas and how to test them in the real world.
Profiting from Thought Leadership
“Thought leadership” is more than a buzzword for marketers. What does it mean to your work as a leader, entrepreneur, freelance writer, or author, including:
- A definition of thought leadership–what is it really?
- The importance of a point of view and how you develop one.
- The art of finding and recognizing “sticky ideas” and the importance of “naming” signature ideas for profit and impact.
Navigating the New World of Publishing
An insider’s guide to understanding the right path, at the right time, for the right project, including:
- The aspirational, creative, and business goals for our ideas–and how to think of “publishing” as one piece of a larger whole.
- The landscape of publishing paths today and how to understand the practical options, timeframes, economics, and gatekeepers.
- Specific steps and resources to help you know where to start, what to do next, and how to keep your momentum with “passion” and “professional” projects.
Get my 7 Steps to Take Your Book Project to the Next Level
plus my periodic Publishing & Strategy newsletter